I have had a sweet, sweet month of time off. The boys of course have been off from school, my summer term ended at the end of July, my summer job was only for the month of July, and church commitments were much lower in August as well. So, what to do with my time???
I spent a significant amount of time in my sewing room, that’s what! At any given time, I have projects at many various points of completion – quilt tops that are being finished, that are being quilted, tops that are done – but not yet in the quilting phase, in the process of being pieced, patterns that I’m cutting fabric for, that I’m gathering fabric for, that I’m planning on doing next, or that I’m dreaming of someday working on. This month, I’ve worked on projects in almost all of those categories!
Here are the things I worked on:
This is a queen size quilt that I have been working on for far too long for a friend – Amanda Brown. The top has been done for a long time, but this month, I finally put the borders on it. Amanda’s mom, Sandy Brown, took it to a quilter for the quilting to be done and then I had the honor of putting the binding on to finish it.
I also completed a surprise for Amanda from the scraps leftover from her quilt. I put together a fun little wallhanging to go along with the quilt. This month, I did the quilting and binding. However, as is often the case, I forgot to take a picture of it before giving it away.
I finished this quilt to start replacing some of our old quilts. I love these fabrics and this pattern. The colors are bright batiks with an Egyptian looking flair to them, so I chose to use a quilting pattern that worked well with that theme.
I had just a small piece of this fun complementary piece with Egyptians walking to use on the back of the quilt. With the rest of the back in black, the quilting really pops out.
Another quilt top that has been done for a while that I finished and gave away before taking a picture was given to the Brydges Golf Benefit as a silent auction item. Hopefully, it will raise lots of money to be given to the Brydges Center in Nairobi, Kenya, to be used to develop a water delivery system to go with their new windmill. If you are local – you’ll get to see it if you come to the picnic next Sunday at Tartan Park.
This is a quilt top that I’ve had done for a very long time. I am quilting this one with a double layer of batting so that it will be extra warm in our cold basement this winter while we watch TV. The applique flowers on the border were done by my best friend, Laura Potopa.
It’s hard to see the quilting motif here. I had chosen a quilting motif and put it on about 12 of the blocks before realizing that I really hated what I had chosen. I actually took the time to tear all that quilting out, choose something else and start again. I like this one so much better.
This patriotic quilt top has also been done for quite some time. I decided to get this one done now too. Each block uses a patriotic print in the center, and then a complementary border around it. Here’s a closeup of the quilting that I am using on it:
I still have a large pile of other quilt tops that are ready to be quilted, but I can really only handle quilting two-three at a time. I actually only have enough safety pins for three. So, then I have to move onto some of the other categories.
I have only done a little bit of piecing this summer, but this one has been really fun. This will be a wall hanging that will go on the wall in my living room when it’s finished. I love the crisp colors of the dusty blue and wintery white. I hope to hang it towards the end of fall – I better keep it out so I don’t forget I need to get it done!
The next category is the projects I am cutting fabric for. The picture on the left shows the pattern’s sample. I am going to use the fabrics on the right. The dark blue will be the background, the batiks in the middle will be the large triangles and the marbles on the right will be the contrast between the triangles. I am getting this one ready to take to quilt retreat this fall.
This will also go to quilt retreat with me. I have ordered a “layer cake” (40- 10″x10″ squares) that is the same fabric assortment as the “jelly roll” in the picture. Together, with a cream background, I will make the quilt shown on left. I think the purples and greens will create a much prettier quilt than the rusts, yellows and oranges in the pattern.
This pattern is for a table topper that I saw online. I did the math and created my own pattern. The fabrics on the right are on audition for this pattern. I’m hoping to take this one to quilt retreat, too.
This quilt is in the idea phase. I will be working on making a pattern soon. My friend, Beth Kromer, and I will be making these to use in preschool and Awana. The pockets come from upcycled jeans and will hold little surprises that together will help tell a story to the kids we work with. I’m excited for my first project with Beth!
And the last category is to keep my momentum moving forward. I would like to start this pattern soon. I don’t have the time right now to spend getting fabrics pulled together from my stash, and I know I need to purchase the background fabric, so this one will just sit for a while. Maybe next summer when I am all done with school I’ll get back to it.
Hope you’ve enjoyed all the eye candy!