First, I took 20 blue and 20 yellow 8 1/2″ squares and sewed them to white 8 1/2″ squares across the diagonal. When cut apart and pressed open, they look like this:
After squaring them up to a perfect 8″ square, I used a handy-dandy tool that lets me cut strips at whatever size I need. I cut the 8″ squares into 5 2″ x 8″ rectangles:
Next, I turned each strip upside down. Keep in mind, I now have 40 of each strip in each color.
Now the “fun” part starts. I needed to randomize all these strips. I had used many different yellows, blues, and whites. The job at hand is to now really make this look scrappy. So, I used my design board to put strips up on the board and make sure that each block doesn’t have the same fabrics in it. Here’s what just half of the yellow blocks looks like before sewing them together:
Well, that’s where I’m at right now. A massive pile of yellow buzz saws and a massive pile of blue buzz saws. Once I assemble them further and finish the quilt top, I will post the rest of the story!